where is this from?

This blog contains texts I have contributed to Italy forums of Tripadvisor. Only what I have contributed.

I assert my intellectual property rights to my writing.

My work may be re-used in terms as for Creative Commons, allowing "users to distribute, remix and build upon a work, and create Derivative Works – even for commercial use – provided they credit the original creator/s (and any other nominated parties)."

In posting things to Tripadvisor, the Tripadvisor system adds some links of its own choosing, to its own pages. I have not removed these.


Thursday 24 May 2018

Where to stay in Rome


This was written for someone making first visit to Rome in the height of summer and tourist season, in August. Just for a weekend. I am leaving in place some links inserted automatically by Tripadvisor.

Screenshot from google map, see text on left.

The centre: find the Colosseum on the google map, then walking directions to the Piazza del Popolo. Now you have a measure of the centre. Most things most people go to see are within several hundred metres of that line, both sides. All walkable. Obviously the closer to the absolute centre, the more expensive and the more crowded in high tourist season.
Be aware of Ferragosto

For a visit of just a weekend, don't book to go into any Big Things, you don't have time for queues and mobs. Enjoy everything in between. Research with the google map, which is immensely detailed for Rome. Click on named places for more info. Saunter, don't try to catalogue.
Safe, rewarding; prepare for assault only on aesthetic judgement. Get lost: unless lost, no wonderful surprises. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mythology and Rome

I've neglected this blog, busy elsewhere. I return to place here something I wrote today, adding to treasures others have just added on ...